After a few starts and stops due to room availability, the Utah Data Dive is now officially scheduled and invitations are going out. (It turned out that I was not able to get one room for two days anywhere on campus. Nor, for that matter, could I find one anywhere in Utah County that cost less than a $1000, when the budget for space was exactly $0.)
The important information, as shown on the front page, is this:
- Location: Utah Valley University, 800 W. University Parkway, Orem UT 84058 [interactive map]
- Friday, 27 March 2015: 9am – 7pm in room 206 of the Sorensen Student Center [complimentary breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks, and drinks]
- Saturday, 28 March 2015: 9am – 4pm in room 101 of the Liberal Arts Building [complimentary breakfast, lunch, snacks, and drinks]
We’re still working on a number of other details but it’s all under way! And, given the difficulty in getting the space, we’ve already started looking at the schedules for fall of 2015 and spring of 2016 for the next iteration of this event, which may or may not be at Utah Valley University. If you’re interested in having it at your school, please let me know! Email Bart at UtahDataDive@gmail.com.
Welcome to the home of the Utah Data Dive! This is an event that is currently in the planning stages for an official launch in spring 2015. (We’re on the academic timeframe here, you know.)
In case you’re not familiar with the term, a data dive – also known at times as a data jam or datapalooza – is an event of intense, collaborative work over a limited time (usually a couple of days), where data specialists from multiple domains collectively analyze one or more large data sets from an organization, which is often a local nonprofit. The best know examples of data dives come from the fabulous group DataKind.org in New York City. Other major efforts come from the two iterations of Big Dive in Europe and smaller examples include the wonderful work done at the A2 Data Dive at the University of Michigan.
The Utah Data Dive is intended to be first and foremost an example of engaged learning for students at Utah Valley University, although it could and should include students from across Utah in future editions. The time frame for planning is such:
- Fall 2013: Barton Poulson (that’s me) and – if funding comes through – two undergraduate students in the Behavioral Science Department at Utah Valley University will travel to the aforementioned A2 Data Dive to get hands-on experience with the format. Submit presentations on data dives as engaged learning for academic conferences in the spring of 2014.
- Spring 2014: Bart will lead a 3-credit undergraduate seminar in the Behavioral Science Department on skills needed for data dives. Plan to present on data dives as engaged learning at the February, 2014, meeting of the Utah Conference on Undergraduate Research (UCUR), the March, 2014, edition of UVU’s Scholarship of Teaching & Engagement Conference & Engagement Week, and/or the April, 2014, meeting of the National Conference on Undergraduate Research (NCUR).
- Spring 2015: The data dive occurs in a 2-day extravaganza at the end of the semester!
That’s the plan for now. Please contact us by using the form below if you have any questions, suggestions, or interest in the Utah Data Dive. We look forward to seeing as many of you as possible as we get ready for this momentous new step in engaged analytics in Utah!